Understanding the C.O.N.C.E.P.T.

Natalie Sanchez, Staff Reporter

NYC SCHOOLS – How do decide from right and wrong? This is a serious question several middle and high schoolers are constantly ask themselves in New York state. Representatives from the New York District Attorney Office are visiting middle and high schools across NY to help them understand “right-from-wrong” scenarios, and how they should be addressed.

Imagine your friends asking asking you to skip class and join them to vandalize the school. At first, you may think you should join, because they’re your friends and you wouldn’t want to act like a goodie-two-shoes around them. But, isn’t it a bad thing to do? How about doing this: confidently hold your head up, look them in the eye, and assertively say, “No, I will not. Just because you are my friends does not mean you can just tell me to skip class to do something even worse. You should know that is wrong.” Doesn’t that make you sound more assertive, and clearly addressing that you don’t want to join in any bad activity? This is what C.O.N.C.E.P.T. is all about.

C.O.N.C.E.P.T stands for: “Creating Opportunities Necessary to Create Empowered and Positive Teens.” Basically, representatives from the New York District Attorney Office talk to middle and high school classes about facing hard decisions in life (examples: smoking, gang-related scenarios, bullying, cyber-bullying, drugs) and how to do the right thing. My class gets visits, and we learned the “S.O.D.A.” model. “List your Situation, Options, Disadvantages, Advantages, and finally choose your decision. It should be the one that will not get you in any trouble or harm,” says Tashay Pratt, a representative.

C.O.N.C.E.P.T. wants students to learn that when doing bad actions, serious consequences follow up. By the power, and choosing, good, you will have so many things to not struggle with in the present and future. So the next time you come face-to-face with a situation and have to make a decision, remember the “C.O.N.C.E.P.T.” of how our decisions influence your turn-out.