Getting Ready for State Exams!

Natalie Sanchez, Staff Reporter

SCHOOL WIDE – The State Exams are coming pretty soon (starting Tuesday, April 5th through Thursday, April 15th) and 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade teachers are beginning to prepare their students in English and Mathematics.

Various types of specific training for the State Exams are currently being held. To prepare for the E.L.A. exams, students are reading independently, studying context clues, taking sample-tests, practicing multiple-choice and short-answer strategies, reviewing the RAD (Restate, Answer, Details) and ABC (Answer, Bring in evidence, Connection) methods, and working in small groups. As for the Mathematics exams, students are reviewing all their previous math-classwork lessons, taking sample-tests, reviewing word problems, and working in small groups. For students that need specific, more targeted help, like “Promotion & Doubt” and ESL (English as a Second Language) kids, they get more extensive training.

“We are reviewing and covering everything our students must know before the State Test so they don’t get lost while testing,” says an English teacher. “We started early because we need enough time to prepare, and also teach our common-every day lessons.”

This will definitely boost up your chances of getting a much better grade than if you don’t prepare, so it’s necessary to pay attention closely in class. Additionally, this would be adding on to your English and Mathematics knowledge in general, so you’d really be killing two birds with one stone.

Be sure to takes the chances of preparing for the State Exams as frequently as you can, so your scores could be off the charts!